Back in 1930, when Kent Narrows was nothing more than a marsh full of muskrats, Captain Alex Thomas and his wife Mae opened the original Fisherman's Inn with seating for 30 along with a grocery store. They lived upstairs with their two children, often renting their own bedrooms to anglers while they slept on the front porch swing.
In 1939, a second floor was added with more guest rooms. When the Chesapeake Bay Bridge was opened in 1952, the addition of a screened porch created seats for even more hungry guests.
The couple's daughter Betty and son-in-law Oscar "Sonny" Schulz, built and opened the new larger restaurant in 1971. Three years later, the purchase of the adjoining property paved the way for the establishment of Fisherman's Seafood Market.
A fire completely destroyed the restaurant on December 23, 1980, but the Schulz family rebuilt and reopened in July of 1981. In the summer of 1991, Fisherman's Crab Deck became the latest addition to Fisherman's Village. Now an Eastern Shore landmark, Andy, Jody, and Tracy, sons of Oscar and Betty, continue the family tradition of offering delicious food with friendly service that began nearly a century ago.
In the News
WMAR visits Fisherman's Inn on Thanksgiving - November 2022
Fisherman's Inn celebrates 90th Year - MyEasternShoreMD.com - June 2020
Best Seafood Shacks In US: Maryland Restaurant Makes List - July 2019
The Taste: Meet the New Chef at Fisherman's Inn - What's Up Magazine - August 2017
Schulz Family Profile - What's Up? Eastern Shore - May 2015
What's Up? Eastern Shore Feature - April 2015
Capital Gazette Review - February 2014
What's Up? Eastern Shore Review - October 2013
What's Up? Eastern Shore Review - January 2011